Monday, September 30, 2013

juki reviewed

currently hard at work on some straight line quilting
 i've been sewing on juki for over 4 months now. goodness, it seems like so much longer since we've made 4 baby quilts, a few tops, and learned to fmq on several items during that time. i have to say, my initial enthusiasm for her has not died a bit. only grown. sew mama sew has a link party for sewing machine reviews, so i decided to sing juki's praises now that i've got more experience on her.

they requested specific information, so here you go:
What brand and model do you have?  juki TL2010Q
How long have you had it?  since june 2013
How much does that machine cost (approximately)?  $900
What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?  quilts, free motion quilting, some zakka items
How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?  i sew several times a week. i've done a lot of sewing in the last few months with this machine. it has performed beautifully, even through sewing marathons and a few disasters of my making.
look at that throat space (underutilized here)!

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?  i love this machine pretty passionately. i call her "juki". after struggling with other machines, i feel juki has helped me improve my sewing tremendously. she makes me look so good!
What features does your machine have that work well for you?  i love the simplicity of juki - not computerized, basic options, super durable. the thread cutter button is great. i'm getting used to the knee bar that lifts the presser foot - useful. i like the adjustable speed. there is the fabulously large open throat space and the quilting table, too. she seems to have all the right special features and none of those i don't need. additionally, all the specialty feet i needed, except the 1/4in foot, were included with the machine. that was a bonus.


my first full size fmq experience
Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?  nope. i really am so very pleased with her. it took a bit for a beginner like me to get familiar with this professional machine, but we are quite happy together now. the very few issues i have occasionally had - some thread breakage and minor tight tension - have been caused by my product choices or inexperience, not the machine. 

the one and only thing i miss once in a blue moon is the zigzag stitch. but i still have my old machine for that. i thought i'd miss being able to move the needle position since i found on my other machine that it helped with sewing close to the edge when needed. but juki's feed dogs are so well placed that this hasn't been an issue at all. 
Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?  i absolutely would recommend juki to any quilter, especially one who likes to fmq. i've already said it, but she's super durable - a real workhorse, sews quietly and beautifully, has improved my sewing tremendously.
the monster-sized walking foot that came with the machine
What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?  i think durability is important if you are a serious sewer. for anyone, matching your needs to the machine are key. don't be lured in by bells and whistles you don't need but make sure the features you have to have are there.
fresh out of the box
Do you have a dream machine?  yes - juki! she was my birthday present.

Bonus: Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

needle breakage - but not machine, thank goodness - after sewing through a pinhead
oh, goodness! do i ever have stories about juki. just click on the links for the individual stories. she's survived some harrowing home ec moments of me sewing through pin heads, my fmq slider shifting and getting sewn to my quilt, as well as all my ineptitude at remembering all the adjustments that need to be made when changing feet and tasks. she's a trooper!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome review! I love that you have individual stories about her...so awesome. Thank you! I love my Juki too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a janome 6600 that's about 8 years old and I bought a Juki tl 2010 to replace it. I used to move the needle on my Janome and use a 1/4 inch foot to get a perfect scant 1/4 inch allowance, and now I'm having a hard time finding a sweet spot on the Juki. I could order a 1/4 inch high shank foot but I don't think that'll help because I can't move the needle too. I've sewn right on the quarter inch line and the blocks I'm making are coming out 1/4 inch shy of where they should be. I tried lining the fabric up with the edge of the foot but the blocks are a smidge too big. I'll keep fooling around with it but I wondered if you have any advice. Not having the 1/4 inch foot barrier is something new to me. I read a few message boards and people have mentioned using their walking foot to piece. Do you do that? Any advice would be appreciated! I really do live this machine but I need to figure out how to piece perfectly on it.

    ReplyDelete

a kind word is always appreciated. thank you for your visit.